About Me

Hi! I'm Abby. My husband, Carl, and I are happily married since October 2007. Our little family of 2 (well, 3 if you count Chief, the dog) added one more in October 2011 when we welcomed Audrey Elizabeth, our first child into the world. Our life was forever changed. And to add to the joy and excitement, we added another daughter, Clara Marie, in May 2014. I wanted to create this blog originally to document all the milestones throughout my pregnancy with Audrey so we could remember that special time in our lives. And now I get to write all about Audrey and Clara and our life with these amazing "Larson Ladies", which is so much more fun!

Search

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Week 16

I'm nearing the end of my 16th week, so this week's post will reflect on how I've felt and what's happened during Week 16. 

This past week, the weather has showed us it's almost summer in Chicagoland... well, somewhat. We had above 90-degree temperatures a couple of the days. But it was cooler before that and has gotten cooler (60ish) since. Because of the fluctuations, there were some tornado scares and some hail and thunderstorms. Crazy weather, but we have been safe!

Last weekend, Carl threw out his back moving some tiles at Menards. He was laid up until Wednesday. I've never seen him in so much pain. And his only saving grace was muscle relaxers from Immediate Care on Sunday. We couldn't even get him up from the floor, let alone into the car and to Immediate Care on Saturday night! So we didn't get too much accomplished last weekend around the house. This weekend, Carl is feeling much better, so the work has resumed around the house. He's painting the last of the doors. I've been planting grass seed out back where Chief has killed the grass over the winter. And we're heading out to look at hardwood flooring. We've got a lot to do and an impending deadline. :)

This past week, I had my 16-week check up at the Doctor. I got to hear the baby's heartbeat again. This time, it was in the 150s. Still very strong! Everything is looking good! And my Doctor told me that the chance for Down Syndrome is 1 in 3000. Typically, for a woman my age it's 1 in 600, so the chances are really good that we're having a very healthy baby. Carl and I are lucky to have come from good genes.

How Far Along: 16 weeks and 6 days
Size of baby: Baby Larson was the size of an avocado as of last week on Sunday. (Tomorrow, size of a turnip at 17 weeks)
Total Weight Gain/Loss: When I went to the Doctor on Monday, I was 4 pounds up from week 12... so I think that puts me at 7.2lbs up from my first doctor's appointment, and 9 lbs up from pre-pregnancy weight.
Maternity Clothes: Yes please! Haha. I can still wear some of my jeans and a pair of jean shorts, but I've been wearing almost all maternity clothes. My cousin's clothes have been my saving grace! This past week, I've discovered her maternity jeans, a shirt, and one of her dresses. I think I'm going to really love dresses for work this summer and Fall! I did go to Target last week and buy a couple tank tops and a couple shirts. Before pregnancy, I would have to wear shirts that show that I had a waist (since I'm top-heavy), and now a lot of those shirts are way too tight around my waist so I have to wear a jacket over top. I'm really showing now, so I'm pretty much strictly maternity clothes.
Gender: So for quite some time now, I've been thinking we're having a girl. But this past week, I've thought we're having a boy. I just have no clue! We find out the gender in 4 1/2 weeks!
Movement: The Doctor asked if I was feeling movement yet. I told her sometimes I feel things, but I think it's just gas. She said I'll know when I feel the baby. A lot of women start feeling the baby around this time, but she said definitely within the next 2 weeks I will feel the baby. I can't wait!
Sleep: This past week, I didn't sleep too well. But that has nothing to do with the baby. I am getting up less in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, so that's good. But I've been really busy and stressed out at work, so I've been dreaming about work constantly and waking up in the middle of the night thinking about work. One night this past week, I couldn't fall back asleep so I got up and went to the computer to work for about an hour before trying to go back to sleep again at 5am. No use... I was just really tired that day. I can see my schedule lightening up over the next few weeks, so that's good. But this past month has really kicked my butt!
What I miss: Lying on my stomach and back. I have even modified my Savasana pose (corpse pose) in yoga so I'm not lying flat on my back. And last night, I woke up and rolled over on my back. Carl called me out on it, though, and I assured him it was "just for a minute". Ha! He made sure I switched to my side to fall back asleep.
Cravings: I haven't been craving sweets much after dinner... well, one night this past week, we did get Blizzards, but overall I want ice cream or dessert a lot less than pre-pregnancy. But in the morning for breakfast, I want sweet pastries... cinnamon rolls, coffee cake, pancakes and syrup.
Symptoms: I've been feeling really good! No complaints.
Best moment this week: I always love going to the Doctor and hearing the baby, so that is at the top of my list this week. Also, Katie and Frank and the rest of the Baio's gave me a special treat on Mother's Day as a "mother-to-be" present. Katie and I got to get manicures at Mario Tricoci on Sunday. And they brought over food for brunch. They had egg/hashbrown casseroles and fruit. And of course I made a coffee cake. :)
Best husband quote of the week: This has to be at Menards last Saturday. Carl was loading up the boxes of tile that we were going to purchase. I had walked away to the cleaning products aisle, and all of a sudden Carl comes up to me and says, "We have to come back. I hurt my back." And of course, I'm all about efficiencies (and the tile was only on sale until the next day!), so I insisted on loading the rest of the tile into the cart and then unloading it all into the car. "We're already here, and I'm capable," I said to him. I really paid attention to my form, so I came out okay! So after I load up the car, Carl says, "There is nothing more emasculating than having to watch your pregnant wife load tile while I just stand watching." We laughed about it. I felt really bad for him! I know it wasn't a pleasant experience for Carl, but it is probably one of his funniest quotes of the week.

Week 16 picture
I've really started showing over just the last 2 weeks! 

I just realized that I'm averaging 1 pic per month. Maybe when I get to the 3rd trimester, I'll start taking weekly pictures when you can really see a big difference week-to-week.

No comments:

Post a Comment