About Me

Hi! I'm Abby. My husband, Carl, and I are happily married since October 2007. Our little family of 2 (well, 3 if you count Chief, the dog) added one more in October 2011 when we welcomed Audrey Elizabeth, our first child into the world. Our life was forever changed. And to add to the joy and excitement, we added another daughter, Clara Marie, in May 2014. I wanted to create this blog originally to document all the milestones throughout my pregnancy with Audrey so we could remember that special time in our lives. And now I get to write all about Audrey and Clara and our life with these amazing "Larson Ladies", which is so much more fun!

Search

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Ankle Recovery

Original update after surgery on February 24th, 2014:

9 screws and 1 plate later, they say the ankle's fixed. They were able to do the surgery with just an epidural, which was safest for the baby. And they really closely monitored the baby during the surgery and throughout my hospital stay. So thankful for that. I really was in the best hands. We were discharged Tuesday around 12noon, the day after surgery.  Pain management has been the toughest part of this. Tylenol just wasn't cutting it. They put me on a good schedule of Norco and that did the trick. I sleep really well and it really relaxes me and takes away the pain. Once I got ahead of the pain, I was able to drop down to just 1/2 dosage so that's encouraging for me. Anyway, the pain just means it's healing, right?  No driving or putting any weight on my ankle for 6 weeks. Then, hopefully I'm in a boot and I start walking on it. Probably will be delivering new baby in a boot. Should be interesting.


Update as of May 27th, 2014, a full 3 months after surgery:

Well, it's been a full 3 months after surgery.  I am miles ahead of where I was since my last update after the surgery.  But still not 100%.  To catch up...

I was in a soft cast for 2 weeks.  For those 2 weeks, I spent my days and nights on a hospital bed setup in our family room downstairs.  "Aunt" Shirley had a hospital bed that she allowed us to use.  Cannot thank her enough for that!  Chief went to stay with my parents and everyone just waited on me hand and foot.  I couldn't be luckier and more thankful for the support that I had.  Carl took on everything around the house, including taking care of Audrey and getting her to and from daycare.  Carl's parents picked Audrey up from daycare everyday and even cooked us dinner to send home with Carl every night.  (Joyce continued cooking us dinner up until the baby was born.  She insisted, even though I was more capable and self-sufficient at the end of April.)  They even had our cleaning lady come and really deep clean our house, which it needed badly.  I really don't know what we would have done without our parents taking care of us during that time!

Then on March 11th, after those first 2 weeks, they removed my staples and stitches and gave me a hot pink fiberglass cast.  Another 4 weeks non-weight bearing.  But I was able to convince the doc to let me return to work (from home of course).

Clockwise from top right:  My first look at my leg and ankle; Smaller incision with stitches;
Larger incision with staples; Another look at the staples
I promised Audrey a hot pink cast,
so a hot pink cast is what I got
They got me a "knee walker", which is basically a scooter with handlebars, wheels, and a basket on front.  I just put my leg up and wheel around.  I wasn't able to use it right after surgery, as soon as it was delivered.  Because of the pain and the swelling, I wasn't able to bend my knee to put my leg in the correct position to use the walker.  Took me almost a week and then I was able to use it and there was no turning back. Lifesaver.
Source
It was another 4 weeks of no walking or driving.  Carl would work from home and from the airport on Tuesdays so that he could be available to take me to doctor appointments (OB appointments and Orthopedic appointments).

Next appointment was April 8th when they took off my pink cast and gave me a walking boot.  Very nice.  However, I was a little naive about what I would be able to do with that walking boot.  I wasn't able to fully walk on the boot without a walker until after a week and a half.  I felt like I was learning to walk again during that time.

Just a couple days after I felt comfortable walking in the boot, I went back in for another checkup (on April 22nd).  And would you believe that the doc said no more walking boot, gave me a brace, and told me to wear supportive shoes (gym shoes), and sent me on my way.  He wants to see how much range of motion and strength I can build up just by walking in the brace.

And that brings us to today, May 27th.  I'm wearing the brace and gym shoes, but I am able to walk around without the brace (at least around the house).  My range of motion is much better and my strength is better.  It also helps that I instantly lost about 20-25 pounds when Clara was born.  So much easier to walk after that.  I'm able to go on walks, though they are very short walks.  Yesterday, Memorial Day, I walked farther than I have in a long time.  We went around the block and then walked to the park so Audrey could play at the neighborhood splash pad.  We love summer around here!  So thankful that it's summer and there is no more ice and snow!  I iced my ankle last night, but I feel like it's more sore today.  I go back to the doctor next week, on June 3rd.  I will have been in the brace for 6 weeks.  We'll have x-rays I'm sure to make sure everything still looks okay.  And I am going to ask for physical therapy.  I want to recover as soon as possible.  I don't want this summer to pass me by without being able to go for walks and enjoy the park with the girls on my own.

So that's where we're at.  As I said, light years ahead of where I was, but I've still got a ways to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment